The SPELL Clinic
2150 E. Dowling Rd. Ste. C
Anchorage, AK 99507
The SPELL Clinic is a licensed private practice dedicated to serving children and teens with communication needs. The clinic has been in business here in Anchorage since August 2002. We have recently expanded to welcome an occupational therapist, JoAnn Schnellbaecher, M.A., OTR and a part-time speech language pathologist, Crystal Rogers, M.S., CCC-SLP to share our space here at The SPELL Clinic. Our full-time experienced speech language pathologist, Christene Gravley, M.S., CCC-SLP provides individual or group therapy to improve speech articulation, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, critical thinking & reasoning, receptive & expressive language and augmentative communication. One specialty of this clinic is phonemic awareness instruction (PA).
- PA instruction helps all children improve their reading, including normally developing readers, children at risk for reading problems, older disabled readers, and children for whom English is a second language. Many children learn to “crack the code” effortlessly while others struggle repeatedly to make sense of print. In a 1-on-1 supportive setting, these students can build a foundation of work attack skills and create a solid sight word repertoire.
- Phonemic Awareness is essential for connecting sounds to letters in words. Some children lack phonemic awareness and will not acquire it without specific intervention. Even when a child can identify the sound associated with a specific letter, he or she may still struggle when that letter is in a word.
- Since English uses a sound-based representational system comprised of about 44 sounds using 26 letters, a child learning to read must:
- Decode a sequence of letters
- Simultaneously store their respective sounds in short-term memory
- Blend these sounds to form words.
This can be difficult. It is important to note that this system is not the only method to decode words; we can also use “sight word” recognition. These words are recalled visually without the need for tapping into the system of phonological representation. Skill with BOTH strategies, phonemic awareness and sight word recognition, will build successful readers.
We offer individual or group therapy to improve:
- Traditional speech articulation
- Phonemic awareness
- Critical Thinking & Reasoning
- Receptive & Expressive Language
- Augmentative Communication
- Cognitive development